Student Code of ConductStudent Code of Conduct 4.08
Labette Community College strives to create an academic community conducive to the proper functioning of the educational process and the development of each student. To create the atmosphere in which these goals can be pursued, the College maintains disciplinary rules and regulations. Students are expected to behave in a manner which is supportive to the mission of the College. Labette Community College reserves the right to impose disciplinary sanctions for behavioral misconduct which occurs either on campus or off campus. Violations of the Student Code of Conduct must be reported by staff to the Vice President of Student Affairs within two working days of the incident along with any action taken.
- Alcohol. The College will uphold and enforce the Kansas law concerning the possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor and beer.
- Tobacco. The College will uphold and enforce the Kansas law concerning the use of smoking products in public places. In addition, College Policy 2.09 prohibits the use of all tobacco products on campus.
- Illegal Drugs. The College supports the enforcement of the State of Kansas laws and federal laws on controlled substances. Use, possession and/or sale of such substances is prohibited whether on campus or off campus.
- Behavior Misconduct. Students are not to exhibit behavior, which threatens any person, harms or causes to place in harm any person, or conduct themselves in a lewd, indecent, obscene, or disorderly manner. A student may be directed to desist from behavior, which, in the opinion of a College official, is intended to or has the effect of subjecting a fellow student to this type of harassment or intimidation. A student who persists in this behavior after being so directed may be charged with failure to follow the reasonable directive of a College official.
- Rape. Any person has the right to say no to sexual activity. Lack of objection is not agreement to sexual contact. Any unwanted sexual activity, including date/acquaintance rape or gang rape, will not be tolerated and the "perpetrator(s)" could face both College judicial action and criminal charges.
- Assault. Any actual or threatened interference, physical or sexual attack, physical or verbal harassment, intimidation, or personal abuse against any member of the College community is forbidden. Face to face confrontation utilizing fighting words or racial epithets or putting any person in fear and apprehension of harm will not be tolerated.
- Firearms, Fireworks and Other Weapons. Possession of firearms, fireworks, explosives and unlawful weapons such as the following shall be prohibited on College property. The use of any object to cause or to attempt to cause, either injury to a person or damage to property is prohibited. The possession or use of any fireworks, explosives or firearms on the College property is in violation of College regulations. Students identified as responsible for such activity will face serious disciplinary action, suspension/dismissal from housing and/or suspension/dismissal from school, as well as criminal prosecution. Storage space for firearms or other weapons is not provided on College property. The term weapon includes but is not limited to the following:
A bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles, or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;
a tear gas or smoke bomb or projector or any object containing a noxious liquid, gas or substance;
a pistol, revolver or other firearm;
a spring gun.
- any facsimile of the above weapons.